Pit bulls are strong, athletic animals that require protein and other nutrients to stay healthy. As a pit bull parent, you want the best for your canine companion, so you need to know which are the best dog foods for pit bulls.
Before you buy, be sure to consider these major factors:
- Make sure the kibble dry food or wet food comes with high-quality ingredients approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). Good dog food should also be devoid of by-products or fillers.
- The best ingredients include sweet potatoes, real meat, and brown rice. You can also look for ingredients that provide extra vitamins and minerals, like fish oil and flaxseed.
- American pit bull terriers or American bully dogs sometimes have extra health problems or different nutritional needs, especially in their puppy food. Make sure each food you purchase has quality protein sources and is a top pick from veterinarians.
- Other good elements to target include omega fatty acids and healthy carbohydrates like whole grains for active dogs (though this depends on your pup’s activity level).
If you’re not sure where to start, read on.
Best for: Healthy ingredients
Key specs: 30-pound bag, chicken and brown rice flavor
Pit bulls are big dogs, so you’ll want to feed them plenty of healthy ingredients. This dog food can help you do just that, thanks to its ingredient composition, attention to quality, and overall nutritional content, which many pet parents will love.
- Excellent nutritional content overall with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Decent value for money
- Many different flavors to choose from if your pit bull is picky
- Meat is always the first ingredient
- Great for building muscle
- No chicken by-products
- Can get expensive pretty quick
- Not ideal for puppies or elderly pit bulls
2. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Grain-Free Recipe with Roasted Bison and Venison Adult Dry Dog Food
Best for: High protein diets
Key specs: 28-pound bag, bison and venison flavor
Maybe you want to prioritize muscle growth and protein. This grain-free dog food option is packed with protein, vitamins, and minerals to help your pit bull grow big and strong.
- Lots of extra vitamins and minerals for hip and joint health and immune support
- Packed with animal protein for fast muscle growth for young pit bulls
- Options for adult, puppy, and ancient grain pit bull food varieties
- Made with real meat
- No artificial preservatives or fillers
This food is pretty expensive compared to other pit bull food options.
Best for: High-energy diets
Key specs: Five-pound bag, chicken flavor
This food is specifically meant for pit bull puppies since they tend to be very high-energy. Choose this if you want your pit bull to maintain its energy levels but also want to ensure that it has enough nutrients and vitamins to grow.
- Formulated specifically for pit bull puppies with easy-to-chew pellets
- Vitamins and minerals facilitate muscle growth, skin and coat health, stomach digestion, and much more
- Made with 30% protein and 20% fat for maximum satisfaction
- Available in multiple bag sizes
- Pretty expensive compared to other dog food types
- Not suitable for pit bull adults or senior dogs
Best for: Larger pit bulls
Key specs: 35-pound bag, chicken flavor
What if you have a really big pit bull? In that case, you need to provide them with proper nutrition, which Royal Canin’s food can do. This adult dry dog food is tasty, nutritious, and perfect for massive canine companions that need a very digestible food option.
- Very easy to digest, so it’s good for dogs that eat a lot of food in one sitting
- Tons of natural vitamins and nutrients, including vitamins for bone and joint support
- Great for dogs that need a lot of calories, as well
- Optional weight choices
- Flavor can be bland for some pups
- Not ideal for puppies or senior dogs
- 35 pounds cost well over $150
Best for: Dieting dogs
Key specs: 35-pound bag, chicken and barley flavor
Sometimes, pit bulls can be a little chunky, and if your dog is overweight, this diet dog food is just the ticket. It comes with healthy ingredients that will help your pit bull lose weight gradually yet consistently.
- Promotes healthy weight loss
- Packed with nutrients for muscle care and heart care, which is great for older pit bulls
- Recommended by veterinarians for weight loss overall
- Decent value for money since you get 35 pounds of food for $75 or so
- No artificial preservatives or fillers
- Not the best food for pit bulls who are at healthy weights, as it may not contain enough calories
- Only appropriate for adults or senior pit bulls
Best for: Grain-free feeding
Key specs: 25-pound bag, pork, beef and lamb flavor
Looking for something totally healthy and nutritious for your dog? This grain-free option is packed with protein and other nutrients, and it doesn’t come with any corn, wheat, soy, or fillers, so it’s healthy from start to finish.
- Recommended by veterinarians and nutritional experts
- Uses real vegetables, fiber, minerals, vitamins, and protein
- Free from poultry for maximum protein content
- Great for pit bulls of all life stages and all sizes
- Value for money could be a bit better
- May need to be combined with wet food from time to time for complete nutritional support
Best for: Hip and joint health
Key specs: 40-pound bag, beef flavor
What if your pit bull is getting a little older and needs some extra support for their hips and joints? This dog food is a perfect choice, as its nutritional composition comes with key vitamins to help ensure your pit bull’s joints stay strong for years.
- Formulated specifically for hip and joint health, including ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin
- Decent value for money, given the purchase price
- Good amount of protein and other minerals, as well
- Probiotics and prebiotics
- Great for aging pit bulls or those with immune deficiencies
8. Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food With Probiotics for Dogs, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
Best for: Digestive health
Key specs: 35-pound bag, chicken and rice flavor
Alternatively, your pit bull might need assistance with digestive health. The Purina Pro Dog Food is an excellent option, as it comes packed with healthy protein as well as probiotics to support your dog’s gut microbiome.
- Comes with nutrients, in addition to probiotics, for overall digestive health
- Has the complete essentials for a healthy dog, so you don’t need to supplement the food whatsoever
- Tasty flavors to keep your dog interested
- Made with real meat and vitamins to nourish healthy skin and a shiny coat
This option is somewhat expensive compared to other dog food options.
Best for: Sensitive stomachs
Key specs: 31.1-pound bag, lamb and rice flavor
Many pit bulls eat everything they can get their mouths on, so they can get upset stomachs. If your little pup has a sensitive stomach, this lamb and rice dry dog food could be what they need to settle down and feel better.
- Variety of flavors and weight options to choose from
- Probiotics and prebiotics help with digestion and sensitive stomach support
- Made with real lamb as its number one ingredient
- No fillers or other potentially harmful ingredients to worry about
- Unnecessary for dogs without sensitive stomachs
- Certain flavors can be difficult to find or may be unavailable when you want them
Best for: Skin and coat health
Key specs: 15-pound bag, salmon flavor
Healthy pit bulls have shiny coats — and this dry dog food could be just what your pit bull needs to look healthier than ever, as it comes with nutrients to facilitate hair growth and skin health.
- Nutrient complex is formulated specifically for skin and coat health for maximum aesthetic attraction
- Also comes with proprietary probiotics to support digestion
- Appropriate for dogs and all life stages
- Uses plenty of real protein and amino acids for muscle growth, including omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids
- Great for growing pit bulls
- Not ideal for senior pit bulls
- Only one flavor available
11. ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food – All Natural, High Protein, Grain Free and Limited Ingredient with Superfoods
Best for: Extra nutrition
Key specs: One-pound bag, mackerel and lamb flavor
This premium dog food is an excellent choice if you want to provide your pit bull with extra nutrients and as many vitamins as possible. It is available in many different flavors and comes with 96% whole seafood, lamb, and organs for as close to a natural diet as possible.
- Plenty of different flavors available, including venison
- Made with almost completely pure and natural ingredients
- Great for all dog breeds and all life stages, including pit bulls
- Lasts for a long time since it is air-dried
This option is very expensive, as you only get one pound of food for your purchase.
Best for: Immune system support
Key specs: 26-pound bag, turkey and chicken flavor
If your pit bull is getting older and you want to make sure they don’t get sick, this dog food for immune system support could be an ideal choice. It’s tasty and comes with grain-free ingredients.
- Plenty of excellent nutrients and vitamins
- Recommended by veterinarians for long-term wellness
- Several different flavors are available
- Great for digestion, vitality, immune system support, and healthy joints and cartilage altogether
- Pretty expensive overall
- Pellet sizes can be small, which could be an issue if your dog eats food too quickly
The Bottom Line
In the end, any of these dog foods for pit bulls could be just what you need. The ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food may be an ideal option if price is no object, while the Purina ONE Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Formula could be an even better choice if you want to settle your pit bull’s upset stomach. Pick what will work best for your pup, and aim to choose an option based on the recommendation of your veterinarian.